Sunday, July 5, 2009

....another update and then I really have to write a paper!

I completed my first course last week...Philosophy and Ethics in Education....the bright spot of the 3 days was that it ended in a pizza/beer party!

We had Friday off so I took advantage of the free time and did no studying! I hopped buses and subways losing myself in order to find myself....I feel very comfortable that if I get lost I will be able to get back home...eventually! Hung out in Bryant Park, found Parsons (where my art classes will be) and cruised through Times Square! I woke up Saturday and went to Coney Island! Saw the Nathan's Hotdog eating contest up close and personal (gross!) While there I met a man who reminded me of RainMan...he was telling me how excited he was to be going to Hoboken to see the fireworks and then proceeded to tell me word for word what the news had reported about where the best place to see them would be, the fact that the police would be paying close attention to drinking and that rooftop bar bq's were not allowed....he told me this 3 times...he was awesome! Then I went walking along the boardwalk. Took lots of interesting pictures, rode the Wonder Wheel and basically people watched...I will spend the next few Saturdays on the beach now that the touristy things are under my belt :)

Came back to the city in time to head down to the Hudson River to watch the fireworks! Along with every other person in the city! Got there an hour and a half before the show was to start only to encounter the police lines that had closed down the area due to massive amounts of people...I stood at the front of the line and made small talk with the police :) I thanked them for the job they were doing cause they were catching flak for having to shut down the streets...I told them I was just going to hang out in case they reopened the streets...which they did about 15 minutes before the show started! The police thanked me for being so polite and let me through first :) I have never been in a sea of so many people...the fireworks were incredible as I had expected but trying to get back home was CRAZY!!! I think the next 2 years I will skip this event :)

Sunday I woke up to a beautiful day! Went to the First Baptist Church in New York City and loved it! Big church, small congregation....met some great people, one in particular was an older african american man wearing a bright salmon colored suit coat...he was precious! After the service, which I thoroughly enjoyed...I stepped out into the aisle....onto a grate that obviously shoots the air conditioning up and my dress flew up! Yes, that's right, I flashed all of the deacons who had just served communion!!!

I have had a great week in New York and I'm ready to start the classes that will last for the next 4 weeks. Please pray for me to have time management skills like no other and the ability to sit back and enjoy what I have and what I am able to experience.

Much love!
MJ

2 comments:

  1. The fireworks look great! Glad you got to do that...once. hehe! Love the story about your dress blowing up...that so would happen to me too! Glad things are still fun and exciting. Enjoy your art therapy this week! Miss you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW- sounds amazing! Can't wait to take that trip someday...so many interesting people with interesting stories! Study Hard!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete